The first week of school, after all the upperclassmen had returned, the line to get into Lowry Dining Hall extended far into the mailroom. I gave up and went to Momís Truck Stop instead.† Kittredge Hall, a smaller cafeteria that also had smaller lines, sounded great, but I have never eaten there. I am a freshman, and Kittredge closed last year so the College could save money.

Kittredge Hall was the ìNo Fry Zone,” known for healthy food. It only seated 320 people. Soup and Bread, a program where students can donate part of their meal swipe to charity, was housed there.

But is Kittredge really worth the added cost? I would hate to have to pay even more for my board. Besides, many of Kittredgeís services are now available in other locations. Soup and Bread has moved to Mackey Hall. Lowry has several healthy and vegan/vegetarian options.

There is more to the dining experience, however, than just food. When I eat dinner, I like to relax and talk. During Lowryís busiest hours, I feel like I cannot hang around because I need to make space for the next group of people to sit down. Ken McNeil, a Lowry staffer, asks students not to linger in the cafeteria during its busiest hours and to clear dishes away themselves when they are done eating. McNeil says that, this year, he swipes in around 1,100 people during Lowryís busiest hour, as opposed to approximately 800 last year. On the other hand, I have only encountered crowds around noon and 6 p.m. (right after many sports practices are over). I have eaten comfortably at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.

In these harsh economic times, it is understandable that cutbacks need to be made. But it seems to me that the College still manages to provide its students with decent meal options.

This is Carolyn Fadoís first editorial for the Voice.† She can be reached for comment at CFado13@wooster.edu.