Three weeks after Scot Spirit Day, I can still imagine the patio full of tables,  feel the energy and good vibes and hear all the groups’ excitement. I was standing at my sorority’s table talking with girls about joining Greek Life. Every so often someone would seem skeptical upon learning we were Greek, and I found myself saying, “I never thought I would join a sorority, but I actually love it,” and, “You may be surprised; just come to a rush and see.”

When I was a first year and learned that Greek Life here at Wooster was not nationally affiliated, I didn’t want to join and thought, “it’s only local, what’s the point?” So instead, I joined Student Government Association (SGA) and channeled the majority of my energy into academics. Now, as a senior, I am vice president of Alpha Gamma Phi after joining my sophomore year and wish I had joined sooner.

After my first year, I felt too involved in academic activities, and I was seeking balance and a new social outlet. Some of my friends were in various Greek groups, and I decided to attend a few rush events to get more experience with the options. I learned that every Greek group is different, and I personally loved the independent yet collective community of Alpha Gamm.

I know there are a lot of views and stereotypes about Greek Life, and they’re not all positive. I think this is why I sometimes said, “You may be surprised” during Scot Spirit Day, to counteract any negative image. Being a member, I’ve learned the emphasis of Wooster’s Greek Life is built around community. Alpha Gamm, as I think is true for other Greek groups, first and foremost values relationships. We are founded on community, collaboration and serving others.

Cheesy as it may be, I truly think of Alpha Gamms as my sisters. By joining a Greek organization, you are joining a family. I have been involved in a number of organizations and activities during my four years here, and no community has compared to that of my sorority. This is because I know I always have at least 35 people supporting, loving and encouraging me, so I can be my unreserved self.

Reflecting on my time at Wooster, some my favorite memories are from my sorority’s events and moments shared with my sisters. Looking around and hearing from friends in other groups, I would say this feeling is fairly universal across Greek Life. Greek Life at Wooster provides opportunities for people to find their niche: to be involved, feel supported and build community.

As with any organization, you can be as involved or uninvolved in a Greek group as you choose. I’ve learned, though, that the benefits you experience from going Greek depend directly on your involvement. Alpha Gamm has taught me the importance of a support system at Wooster and how to connect with people from different class years, hometowns and backgrounds. Now on the executive board, I am continually improving my leadership, communication and organizational skills.

Despite not having national affiliations here at Wooster, there is no doubt that involvement in Greek Life at Wooster can transform your college experience. Originally, I joined Alpha Gamm to try something new and outside of my comfort zone. Now, I cannot imagine my experience at Wooster without the love, support and laughter of Alpha Gamm. I encourage everyone to try something new and surprise yourself by participating in or joining a new group. Whether it be through a Greek organization or not, building community and creating relationships will no doubt transform your time at Wooster.

Callie Ogland-Hand, a Contributing Writer for the Voice, can be reached for comment at COgland-Hand19@wooster.edu.