Introduce yourself!

Alona: Hello, my name is Alona Abufarha, she/her/hers, and I am a senior cognitive and behavioral neuroscience major with a minor in biology from Swartz Creek, Michigan. I am the co-president of Mind Matters and the Biology club that has just been reinstated this year. 

Jack: My name is Jack Sweeney, and I use he/him pronouns. I am a senior majoring in psychology and minoring in philosophy, and I am from Kansas City, Missouri. I am the co-president of Mind Matters, president of Psychology Club and I am a tour guide.

How did you both become involved with Mind Matters?

Alona: I became involved with Mind Matters my first year at Scot Spirit Day. I continued to become more engaged by becoming the secretary my sophomore year and then co-president with Jack for my junior and senior years. 

Jack: I learned about Mind Matters at Scot Spirit Day my freshman year, joined and started to get more involved, serving as the treasurer my sophomore year, and co-president with Alona my junior and senior year.

In light of Scot Spirit Day, what are your organization’s ambitions for the coming year?

Alona: Our goal as an organization is to provide the student body with a safe place to de-stress and discuss mental health topics while hosting events such as Bob Ross Paint Nights to foster a community of mental health advocates. 

Jack: We’re mostly planning on continuing our mission to provide a safe and comfortable environment to de-stress and discuss topics related to mental health during our biweekly meetings, as well as work towards achieving our various advocacy initiatives to improve mental health awareness on campus so that more students know what mental health resources are available to them.

What is your favorite part about having a leadership position on campus?

Alona: My favorite part about having a leadership position is when we get to work alongside other organizations and the Wellness Center. Working with other organizations makes Wooster feel more intertwined and connected, which I enjoy. 

Jack: I would say my favorite part about having a leadership position on campus is feeling like you can make a difference in some way, either through working with various offices like the Wellness Center or Student Engagement to hold events, or by finding ways to get to know other students and planning things that they are interested in and/or asking for.

How do you like to spend your free time?

Alona: I like spending my free time watching movies, playing Kan Jam with my friends, and listening to music. I also love to go Sanrio brand hunting at TJ Maxx. 

Jack: I like to spend my free time by playing board games and watching movies with friends, reading, going on walks and woodworking.

What advice would you give to your first-year self?

Alona: I would tell my first-year self not to fear how others perceive me — if they want to be in your life then they will be.

Jack: One piece of advice I would give to my first-year self is that there is no right way to do college. It may feel like there are certain things you “have” to do or achieve while you’re here, but what’s more important is that you do the things that are meaningful to you and you enjoy doing.

Do you have any recommendations for readers?

Alona: I just finished the YouTuber Quinton Reviews’ newest video on “Sam and Cat,” a fun but lengthy docu-series. I also love Taylor Swift, so I recommend anything by Taylor Swift, specifically the song “Renegade.”

Jack: I really enjoyed the second season of “Good Omens,” so if you haven’t seen it, I would check it out! Shameless plug, but I would also recommend coming to our next Mind Matters meeting on Sept. 14 from 7-8 p.m.! We’d love to see you there!