Blakely Dishman

Features Editor

Emilie Eustace

Features Editor

Micah Morrow

Contributing Writer

On Thursday, Jan. 27., Sexuality & Gender Inclusion (SGI), a branch of the College’s Center for Diversity & Inclusion, hosted an event called “New Year, Still Queer.” For many, setting goals and intentions for the New Year is an important tradition, and SGI wanted to contribute by hosting a goal writing event. When asked about the impact of this event, Malachi Mungoshi ’24 said, “Going into 2022 I initially had no aspirations for my year, but after the event I realized that there is so much to look forward to this year.” Hosted in Babcock Kitchen, SGI provided students with journals, colored pencils, pronoun stickers and various other decorative materials that students could use to establish their goals. The goals and affirmations were completely up to the people writing them, so they could pertain only to this semester or the entirety of 2022. 

Hanna Reiwkowsky, the program assistant for SGI, was happy to talk about the importance of the event. They said that “We have a lot of events in SGI that are happening, but I wanted one as something for students to do as their first event after coming back on campus. Setting goals is something productive that students like to do for the New Year.” 

Despite goal writing and intention setting being the main purpose of the event, some students attended for other reasons. Lad Prech ’25 said, “I’m here because it is a nice opportunity, as well as to try and meet other people. I’m trying to do things more within the queer scene.”

The events put on by SGI help to foster the LGBTQ+ community on campus. “I think even if you never go to these events it is nice to know that they are always there. It is nice to know that the staff has taken time and allocated resources to organize these events and advocate for their budgets. Though it feels very normal to us now, it wasn’t always like that.” said Camille Carr ’22. “So even if I rarely go to SGI events, it is nice to know that they are always there.”

Whether it be a goal writing celebration or a clothing drive, students are grateful for the opportunity to come together and meet others of varying genders and sexualities. College is all about finding oneself and growing, and events that foster connection aid heavily in that need. 

Written by

Chloe Burdette

Welcome to The College of Wooster's Inter-Greek Council website! Here you will find out everything about our campus's Greek Life, including resources for the 2020 Rush season> We are so glad you are with us!