Jenelle Booker 

Contributing Writer

In a time where sitting inside is the preferred option to going out, a quarantine playlist that accompanies every mood of a pandemic, is an essential. First, however, it’s hard to talk about COVID-19 and 2020 without talking about Black lives and the awakening of young people to the systemic injustices in America. So, to begin this playlist are a couple songs to honor the many who have lost their lives to racists, sexcists, homophobes, xenophobes, and bigots of every kind and those who are placing their bodies in the streets to advocate for real change.

In spite of the hopelessness and anxiety COVID-19 has brought me, it’s important to remember (as cheesy as it sounds) that this time will indeed pass, that there are moments within every day to appreciate, and there is comfort and sanity in dreaming for the future. From “Summer 2020” to “Almeda,” these songs have brought me that comfort and sanity. Comfort in remembering sadness as a necessary part of life, and sanity in shifting my focus back to the very present. Not present politics, or present events; but to the present as in me typing this, or of you reading this. Of us existing and consciously making decisions that design our day to day. There’s power in our very existence, so make sure to recognize it.

Of course, appreciation of the existential doesn’t really do it for you when all you really want to do is go out and party. You’ll find some head bangers, hip whines and other high energy hits that have me hyping myself up in the mirror. Jumping around the room alone may not have the same feeling as a mosh pit, but it’s much safer (besides, who likes the feeling of sweaty skin?). Go ahead, play through “Coño (James Kennedy Remix)” to “Walk (Remix)” and let your instincts take over — it’s the only time you can practice your dance moves without judgement. If you’re not one for dancing, yelling at the top of your lungs is also an acceptable use of this section. With a mix of old bangers, foreign beats and new releases, any need for crowded dark rooms can be satisfied with a party of one (or few). For those pressed to leave the house, turn the bass up in your car, max the volume and hit the interstate (a special mention to “HUNNIES,” “Don’t Come Out The House,” “Sugar” and “Riverdale Rd”).

When you’re otherwise feeling sad (let’s be honest, “sad boi hours” is 24 hours now), “9” to “Home (Remix)” is here to keep you company through the tears. Sometimes a heartbroken song and self-pity is all we can manage through the day, and that is okay. As a hopeless romantic myself, I’ve thrown in a couple of my favorite love songs. If you’re in a relationship, I hope this helps you through the separation, and for my singles, through the disappointing Hinge chats. Finally, I’ve ended the playlist like I end my day — with meditation.

Written by

Chloe Burdette

Welcome to The College of Wooster's Inter-Greek Council website! Here you will find out everything about our campus's Greek Life, including resources for the 2020 Rush season> We are so glad you are with us!