You need to understand that this is another piece about immigrants. That is all. There will be nothing in this viewpoint which you already do not know (at least, I hope). No, I will not try to explain to you how and why immigrants matter. Will I put down some statistics to dispel myths about immigration? No. Will I try to steer you towards believing immigrants and considering them human beings? Hopefully. However, let me explain once again that this piece has nothing more than what has already been said about immigrants before. 

What should be said about immigrants and for immigrants has already been said. Yes, immigrants look at the world around us with a different perspective, which is why some of the brightest innovators of our time have at one point made the difficult decision to live somewhere alien to them. You, of course, already knew this. Immigrants work harder to prove themselves to people already present in the land they know, sometimes after looking around a corner, call “home(?)” for fear that they do not get judged. Yes, we are human, and yes, we love to stereotype. 

Yes, this piece will call you out and make you ask yourself if you are a native inhabitant of where you live right now. Do not be surprised when I also tell you that most of the people who read this are not native to where they are right now, or even where they live permanently. 

Will this viewpoint try to explain the irony of blocking immigrants in a country made for immigrants, by immigrants? Wait, should that have been in the opening or closing paragraph? Anyways, it’s here now, and I would like the irony to impress upon you. Not to say that it hasn’t before when it’s been said countless times previously by people much more eloquent than me, yet irony is good. 

The matter of the immigrants who founded these United States by decimating the native population and maligning them to severe atrocities will be left out at this point. Do modern-day immigrants who come here do that? A lot of us think they do; perhaps they know what happened when they came to this region. For that, I congratulate them on reading up on some real history. For those who do not, read some Native American history, and about the first colonization of this land. “Immigration has never been this bad before,” you say? You haven’t heard the half of it. 

What was even the point of this piece? Why have both of us spent our time writing and reading it? Basically, we don’t really care about immigrants. The fact that we were okay with families being torn apart at a certain border even when we visited our families back home over break shows that at the end of the day, immigrants don’t matter to us. 

Next time you visit your family, don’t think about the young child taken away from his parents and kept in a detention cell.