Robert Dinkins, Jr. 

Contributing Writer

After a wait of nearly six years, Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., aka “Lil Wayne,” finally released “Tha Carter V.” “Tha Carter V” is the fifth installment of the Carter series, first begun with “Tha Carter” back in 2004. “Tha Carter V” experienced multiple delays due to disagreements between Lil Wayne and Cash Money Records, particularly with the label-head, Birdman. Now released from Cash Money Records, Lil Wayne distributed “Tha Carter V” via Universal Records.

“Tha Carter V” is a 23 track containing about one hour and a half of Lil Wayne rapping and singing. The album first starts off with Lil Wayne reminding us to never leave voicemails. The opening track contains a voicemail from his mom sharing how much she loves him. It was very heartfelt, as she even mentioned how Wayne takes care of his half-brother, even though he doesn’t have to. The voicemail then abruptly stops as the next song plays, “Don’t Cry” featuring the late XXXTENTACION. Wayne offers a verse saying, “I sip from the Fountain of Youth/ So if I die young, blame the juice.” He also uses a play on words: “Triple extension on my motherfuckin’ afterlife, rest in paradise.” The beat is similar to a lot of the late artist’s works. 

Lil Wayne then comes with a fast pitch with the next song “Dedicate.” “Dedicate” holds a special place, because he also has a series of mixtapes following that name. He would normally release the mixtape in between  his main studio albums. The track also features a sample of 2 Chainz saying, “If it wasn’t for Wayne, it wouldn’t be,” who then goes on to give a list of what many popular artists are doing now. Not only does it feature one of the best artists from Atlanta, Wayne also has President Obama mentioning how not everyone has a flow like Lil Wayne. Obama was illustrating how we should inspire our children with “real” careers instead of simply following the arts or trying to become the next LeBron James.

Obama might have to offer Lil Wayne an apology, because the very next tracks have the artist at his best. “Uproar” became an internet sensation featuring many humans dancing to the beat. The production is interesting because it is a sample of “Special Delivery” by G-Dep, a popular song in 2001. Wayne quickly switches the bling rap flow, and joins Pastor Travis Scott, who I like to refer to as the Kirk Franklin of Hip-Hop, for an auto-tune filled track talking about birds flying in the summer. Of course, we know these aren’t birds but references to the amount of deaths that occur during the summer months due to gun violence. Even while turning up, you can still be political; thanks, Weezy. 

“Let it Fly” also has Rodeo era Travis Scott, so those who liked him before Kylie Jenner will probably like this song. Lil Wayne then comes with what may be my graduation song, “Can’t Be Broken.” The song could be about a multitude of things since Wayne has been in the public spotlight since 2003. He has probably made the same amount of enemies as friends, so reminding everyone that he is unbreakable is definitely key. However, a deeper inspection could show that this song is not for the haters but a constant reminder to himself and whoever is singing in the shower of their true potential. Wayne offers a romantic song with Nicki Minaj on “On the Dark Side of the Moon.” I think they are talking about anal sex. 

The next song is a great banger and has already been played on my phone 78 times. “Mona Lisa” features Kendrick Lamar as Wayne paints a picture of how he uses his lady friends to swindle unsuspecting Johns. Lamar then comes in on some Pimp A Butterfly shit portraying how the John feels about being swindled. My favorite Lamar line in the piece, “Bitch I’m emotional ‘cause I’m in stress I’m not supposed to go through this, I guess/ So in conclusion, since you like rappers that’s killin’ that pussy I’m killin’ myself.” Powerful. 

After talking about sneaking in people’s houses and taking their stuff using women, Wayne comes on the next track crying for a companion. “What About Me” is a song about how Wayne been waiting all night for this woman to answer his text or his calls, and she just continues to ignore him. A lot of Wooster students should play this song after leaving a party alone; it is very comforting. However, it is a definite switch-up from the energy that was presented in the previous song “Mona Lisa.” This is where Wayne falls off as the next few tracks seem to blur together. “Famous” featuring his daughter, “Open Letter,” “Dope Niggaz,” “Hittas,” “Took His Time,” “Open Safe,” “Start This Shit Off Right” are all good songs in their own right, but ultimately lose the same lust since we have already crossed the 30 minute mark. I’m also losing space to stan Lil Wayne, so I’ll cut it short. 

The multiple delays seemed to be a blessing in disguise, as it allowed Wayne to perfect this piece. The songs exude Wayne’s confidence that he is still the best rapper alive. The different features also come together well, offering different styles and tastes for different listeners. The album could’ve been released with two parts, but streaming is king solely because you are using your roommate’s Spotify account and always have to decide who gets to use it during the day. Basically, since streaming is very popular, artists have an incentive to release more tracks solely because it could result in more stream revenue. 

That’s a discussion for another time, and Wayne is excused because I’ve been waiting for “Tha Carter V” since I was in high school, and now I’m graduating; there is a God! “Tha Carter V” will go in history as a nice epilogue to what we knew was Lil Wayne. He currently is planning on retiring and hanging out with his four kids more. I wish him the best, and for him to not lean too much from his cup; he has definitely influenced and pushed hip-hop in a better direction. Artists such as 21 Savage, Lil Baby and Young Thug could have sounded different. Heck, Lil Wayne discovered Drake, so everytime you’re dancing to “In My Feelings,” you should thank Lil Tunechi. 

(Photo from NewsOK)