Samuel Casey

Staff Writer

The Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) has recently added two new members to its staff: Evan McCory, the program coordinator for International Student Services (ISS) and Civic & Social Responsibility, and Rabbi Dario Hunter, coordinator for Jewish Life and Intersectional Programming in Religious & Spiritual Life.

McCory explained that he splits his role between the two parts of his title.

“I will be providing support to ongoing programs that are already established in the ISS and Civic & Social Responsibility branches,” he said, “as well as developing my own programs and events to encourage diversity and practically apply our inclusive philosophy to better the student experience for everyone who attends our incredible institution.”

McCory sees his role as a way to improve the relationship between the College and the city of Wooster.

“I hope to facilitate new partnerships with organizations throughout the community as well as to maintain and improve relations with existing community partners,” he said.  “I also see this position as an opportunity to help our students develop objective, informed opinions on various social issues, so they are able to take practical steps to influence the political process via voting, volunteering and organizing political protests when necessary.”

While this covers the Civic & Social Responsibility aspect, McCory also addresses ISS.

“I am here to help all of our international students transition to living and attending college here in Wooster, Ohio,” he said. “One of my central goals with the ISS branch is to become an advocate for our international population by getting to know the students I interact with on a personal level, listening to their questions/concerns and making sure I am a staff member that they feel comfortable coming to about any challenge that they may encounter,” McCory added.

Nate Addington, director of Civic & Social Responsibility, was on the search committee that recruited McCory. “I am personally thrilled with Evan joining our staff,” he said. “Evan [brings] with him a great wealth of knowledge about the local community and its needs while at the same time having this great background of growing up abroad.”

Sarah Shanes ’19, president of Hillel at Wooster, spoke about her excitement to work with Hunter this year.

“When I met Rabbi Hunter for the first time, I was impressed by his thoughtfulness and sincerity in getting to know me and my peers,” Shanes said.  “He also seemed incredibly motivated to help support the Jewish life on campus in any way he could,” she added.

One of Shanes’ goals is to include more events that showcase the interfaith community that we have on campus. “Rabbi Hunter will be a great help in collaborating with us as we reach for that goal,” Shanes said.

Addington echoed these statements. “Rabbi Hunter’s personal faith journey is so inspiring.  I think our students will really resonate with his journey of searching and discernment,” he said. “[Both McCory and Hunter] bring great insights and add a new level of richness to the CDI team in a variety of different ways.”