Samuel Casey

Staff Writer

The College of Wooster has recently hired two new members in its administration: Dr. Lisa Steffensen, assistant dean of students and dean for juniors and seniors, and Mitch Joseph, director of students’ rights and responsibilities.

Before coming to Wooster, Dr. Steffensen served as the dean of student affairs at South University in Austin, Texas.  

“I love the small, residential college feel. I also wanted a position that allowed me to work with students directly,”  she said when asked what attracted her to Wooster.

She also mentioned the importance of the Galpin Call-in in her decision to apply to Wooster.  

“When I was researching Wooster last February, I consistently read about the Call-in and was impressed with the activism of students here; I knew I had to apply for this position,” Steffensen said.

When describing her role at the College, Steffensen said, “I meet with students who are on academic probation, appealing financial aid loss and  [I] work with students who are seeking to withdraw from or come back to the College. I also assist with retention initiatives and assist with planning larger campus-wide events.

“Mostly, I am here to support, cheer for and assist students in being successful at The College of Wooster,” she emphasized.

While Steffensen said that she is adjusting to the new environment and procedures, she has a positive impression of Wooster and is excited to get to work.  

“Everyone has been so kind and welcoming; I’m really enjoying it. I was absolutely dying for students to come back this summer,” she said.

Mitch Joseph served as associate dean and director of student life at Urbana University in Ohio before taking the job here.  

“As a life-long Ohioan, I’ve always heard about the outstanding reputation of Wooster,” Joseph said.  “It’s an institution that can challenge me to bring my best every single day.”

He is responsible for maintaining close ties to students and helping them understand the responsibilities that come with being a student at Wooster.  

“It’s more than just enforcing policies found in The Scot’s Key,” he said.  “It’s working with students to educate [them] on how they have an impact on the College and larger community.  What can we do to make Wooster a better educational environment for everyone?”

Joseph reminds students that actions have consequences, and that one of the hardest aspects of his job is dealing with those consequences.

“However, I look forward to working with students looking to make themselves better.  I enjoy any opportunity to work with students and support them inside and outside the classroom,” he assured.

Monét Davis ’19, president of Student Government Association (SGA), was a member of the committee that hired Joseph.

“I am looking forward to seeing what Mitch will do,” Davis said.  “This is a very unique and complex position, but a necessary one for Wooster.” Davis added that the collaboration between Joseph and SGA will be encouraging.

Both Steffensen and Joseph look forward to getting settled in and are excited about meeting students this year.