Spoke Whosaid

The Fighting Scots reigned supreme last Sunday as they cruised to an easy win over their opponents.

The Scots fired in all departments, with several individuals achieving their personal bests.

Jason Gillespie ’19, who was voted player of the week, said, “Just to have a competition in which we felt on top of the world… I felt like I was flying, I haven’t felt this good about the game ever. I hope we keep carrying this momentum forward throughout the season.”

The College of Wooster now leads the pack with a 19-1 record following their most recent win. This marks a new record for the College, surpassing its previous best of 16 games, with that run coming in the 1989-90 season.

Gilles Simon ’18 reflected on the lone loss earlier in the season.

“Our first, and might I add, only loss came in our maiden game this season. We lost by a huge margin of 147-91, against a team that we probably might have won against on a better day and felt absolutely crushed and defeated. However, we grouped together and found our form, which led us to this awesome run.”

The game began with a large early lead for Wooster, and the momentum stayed with the Scots throughout. Their opponents tried their best to stop the relentless barrage, but there was no hole uncovered in the conference leaders’ game plan.

Tim Paine ’20 from the other team thought that they had played a good match.

“I honestly felt that we didn’t start that bad, and had minor things gone our way, we could’ve been on top. I’m not taking away credit from Wooster, they played really well, but then again, it’s all really about those small margins.”

“Just converting those small moments in your favor dramatically changes the complexion of the game. There was no point where I felt that we were away from clinching the game, and I feel my teammates felt the same way.”

Spirit on campus has been high as well following the win. Gameday attendance numbers have gone up across the board and the atmosphere has been described as electrifying by some attendees.

Kyle Clark ’21 said, “Coming in as a first-year to a DIII school, I didn’t think there would be so much emphasis given to sports alongside athletes treating themselves as divas. However, I’m pleasantly surprised that as with other schools and teams, athletes here also feel entitled to do as they please and get away with it.”

“I feel it’s imperative for people to understand that these souls are representing our school at the pinnacle of their sporting prowess, and that comes with great dedication and sacrifice from these student athletes. Support from the student body helps them feel that they are part of something bigger, like the school they study in.”

Come and support your very own Fighting Scots as they achieve Ohio (later national) dominance this weekend at home! The action begins at 1 p.m. sharp, so be sure to come before the stands fill up! Go Scots!!