If you are like me, you are waiting for March 4, the day when season four of House of Cards finally comes out on Netflix. For me personally it has been very hard to watch Netflix in this great time of sorrow. However, a new show entitled Love has been added to the long list of Netflix originals. As a Netflix original, would it have to rely on being associated with Netflix originals or can it hold up on its own? With actors Paul Rust and Gillian Jacobs, Love is an adventure of two people navigating through life in Los Angeles (very original -_-).

Editor’s Note: This article contains spoilers for the series.

Mickey (Gillian Jacobs) works at a radio station and Gus (Paul Rust) is an aspiring writer who actually works as an “On-Set Tutor” for a TV show. Gus is the definition of a nice guy: never standing up for himself and accepting crap from a lot of people. A great example is when his girlfriend tells him that she cheated on him just so he would break up with her (Hint: She didn’t cheat on him).

Mickey is an adventurous person who makes up for all the shit she takes by only giving out more shit in return. I have no idea what the writers were on when they decided to pair these two, so the question is not if they will get together, but when?

Throughout the first season, the viewer is forced to sit and watch as Gus and Mickey seem to drift further apart instead of closer. A great example of this is when Mickey sets up Gus and her roommate, Bertie, on a date. In my opinion that whole episode was a waste of time; I mean for God’s sake, you don’t need a Ph.D to know that it would not work out. The cover of the freaking show is Gus and Mickey, not Gus and Bertie. You really get the sense that a lot of episodes are not needed. You could start from episode five and get the whole gist of the show without missing a beat.

As a whole the show itself is a work in progress. It has only one season so I would hate to stop watching it because the first season did not live up to the hype. If we only judged shows for their first seasons we could have possibly missed gems such as The Office, Parks and Recreation and even The Simpsons. Overall, the first season leaves room for comedy that just did not make it. Instead the viewer is presented with a lot of situations where they wish they could slap a particular character on the screen and sometimes everyone on the screen.

Of course, at the end of the season Gus and Mickey get together but then the season is over. I want more. I expect more. I guess the message that the show is trying to portray is that finding love is not easy and even after you have found it, it is not perfect (kind of like this show). So here’s hoping that season two of Love would actually bring the comedy that it promised. Until then, I just have to continue to wait for House of Cards season four to come out.