Ian Benson

The College of Wooster has done many things to move into a more modern age. We’re all aware of the $15 million donation to renovate and expand the science buildings, as well as to start new scholarships explicitly for those disciplines. We make a grand gesture out of our Scot Center, and its giant solar panels. We’ve made strides to stay abreast with our peers and provide the best educational experience we possibly can. But in recent days, I’ve noticed we’re sorely lacking in a basic aspect. This campus, as a whole, is nowhere near handicap accessible.

This thought dawned on me as I walked into Lowry some time ago. I wasn’t paying attention and used the handicap door, a minor annoyance considering its extra weight. I started to think about how I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with a wheelchair on campus before, and if there was someone, how would they handle the campus. I started to think off the top of my head, noting that there are stairs at the entrance to multiple buildings. I know the library has a ramp, but I couldn’t think of ones for some of the other halls. And even if it is easy to get in, I’m not clear where elevators are for most of the buildings.

I know Lowry has a freight elevator, in the back behind Mom’s and it goes up to the loading area on the first floor, and then to the kitchen on the second, but surely there must be some other way to get around. I know there’s a handicap bathroom in the basement of Babcock, but I don’t know if the building has an elevator.

This is a worrisome problem, and one that I feel is holding Wooster back. How can we sit around and talk about all of the ways to keep this campus modern when we’re so woefully behind on such a basic issue. No student in a wheelchair would ever choose to attend Wooster because we can’t cater to even the most basic of needs.

I’ll admit I’m not clear on the laws regarding handicap accessibility. I know that newly constructed buildings must have certain levels of accessibility, but older buildings are exempt unless renovations reach a specific cost level, at which point the buildings must be brought up to code. I don’t know how many buildings on campus fall under that exemption, but it serves to explain why buildings like Galpin or Babcock don’t have elevators.

I understand that elevators are an expensive item, and ones that require a great deal of space. They’re tricky additions in some of the older buildings that make up the campus, but I feel they’re essential. As well, many of the halls could use easily accessible entrances and even more of those handicap doors (I know the extra weight is annoying, but it’s really not the bad). But I think we need a greater emphasis on these around campus, because as it currently stands, it’s shameful how little this campus has in the way of handicap accessibility.

I’m not calling for an overnight, grand sweeping change to the campus, but more a commitment to addressing this issue. We don’t have to fix it all, but we have to start.