A weekend full of sporting events, dances, UG happy hours, fun runs and visiting alumni

Sarah Kristeller

Staff Writer

The College of Wooster’s 94th annual Homecoming weekend began today, offering an opportunity for the entire Wooster community to reconnect over three days of college-sponsored revelry. It follows Spirit Week, which featured a number of student activities including Bed Races and the Nearly Naked Run.

“Homecoming is a wonderful way to reunite all aspects of the College in a celebration of Scot Pride,” said Associate Dean of Students, Christie Bing Kracker. “We crafted a full Spirit Week and Homecoming Weekend. There is something for everyone to enjoy, from sporting events to bed races to parades.”

Friday evening includes a host of different events. A Hall of Fame Awards Ceremony & Reception honoring student athlete alumni will begin at 6 p.m. in Scheide Music Center.  The Scots Volleyball team will face off against the Case Western Spartans at 7 p.m. in Timken Gymnasium. A Young Alumni Happy Hour starts at 7-9 p.m. at the Underground and will be followed by a dance party at the Underground which runs from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m.

The festivities start up again early on Saturday, beginning with the Christine E. Hulke Memorial 5K “Fun Run” at 8 a.m outside of Wagner Hall. Alumni sporting events will occur throughout the day on Saturday. The Homecoming parade will kick off at11:30 a.m. on Beall Avenue, followed by a President’s tailgate at 4 p.m. on the Lowry back patio. The Blackout football game against Wooster rival Wittenberg begins at 6 p.m. on Andrews turf field, Papp Stadium.

An all-campus celebration and dance will commence at 10 p.m. in Lowry Center on Saturday.

On Sunday, the Homecoming Cricket Match will take place at 1 p.m. on Andrews turf field, featuring the College of Wooster team vs. the Wooster Community Team.

Nearly 300 alumni have registered to attend Homecoming Weekend 2012.

While the official college-sponsored events offer students, alumni, faculty, staff and community members an organized opportunities to mingle and celebrate the successes of Wooster graduates, many alumni attending from the Class of 2012 are simply excited to revisit campus and reconnect with friends and professors.

“I just want to come back and see friends mostly, both that just graduated, especially in my class, and who are still at school,” said Will Schoenfeld ’12. He also sees this weekend as an opportunity to catch up with professors and to be on campus again.

As for events, Schoenfeld’s plan is to make his way from place to place and play the weekend by ear. “I’m registered for the happy hour. That’s’ the only one that I registered for, but I’m sure I’ll make my way over to some of the other [activities],” said Schoenfeld. “It’s more about the people than the events for me, so I want to see what everyone is doing and then just go from there.”

Charlie Fanelli ’12 echoed this sentiment, “I figure it’s a good way to see a bunch of people without having to bounce around the country, and run into old professors and thank them because I haven’t gotten to thank them from outside [college] yet.”

When asked what he’s most looking forward to about the weekend, Fanelli said, “Pretty much just seeing everybody I haven’t seen in awhile. [It has been] a whole four months!”

This half-serious, half-joking attitude about revisiting campus, friends and professors is especially relevant to recent graduates. While it may be only a short time since they have left Wooster, the opportunity to return for Homecoming Weekend and reconnect is still exciting to them.

Brandon Pool ’12, a.k.a. DJ Blacksheep, is looking forward to preforming at the Homecoming Dance and is excited to see friends.

“I’m from Los Angeles,” said Pool, “so it’s nice to see friends who live on the opposite side of the country,”