Are you familiar with that feeling you get when something feels just right? Call it intuition, a chance, inspiration, comfort or simply indescribable. Well, I believe that is what can seal the deal on making the final college decision. This was definitely the final factor in my decision to come to Wooster and I think this is a relatively common consensus based on stories that I’ve heard from fellow classmates.

I recall stepping onto campus for the first time and I immediately felt a connection. Throughout my college search, I was told countless times by teachers, friends, guidance counselors and family, that when I found the right place I would know instantly. To my surprise, it finally happened. I was finally experiencing this notion that I had been waiting for.

While this description sounds rather simplistic and harmonious, I’ll also be the first to admit that Wooster was not my first choice among colleges. Various factors contributed to this predilection that this was not the school for me. One of these reasons, which I feel is a crucial factor in the overall college seeking process, was… money.

Yes, the issue of finances was the final factor. It is sad to think that this is what it actually boils down to this.† The price of college can be incredibly intimidating and the price tag that accompanies many of the private liberal arts colleges are quite similar and slightly more frightening.

I knew that I wanted to go to a liberal arts college. Small class size, low student-to-teacher ratio, diversity, availability of majors, a plethora of organizations and individualized attention are a few of the benefits that are desired. The College of Wooster captures all of these things along with the Independent Study project that each and every one of us will complete. Personally, being a very project-oriented individual, I am very excited about this, while there is also the lingering stress of choosing a topic and fear of how the entire process will pan out.

Regardless, this is simply another advantage to consider while balancing out the final decision. Basically, Wooster seemed to be a perfect fit for me. Perfect, except for the underlying issue of finances. Little did I know, I was in for another surprise. Financial packages started coming in and some were better than others. With the combination of academic scholarships, financial aid, and student loans, everything was falling into place and becoming a reality that was actually within my grasp.

Honestly, the finality of the decision didn’t really register until the summer ARCH program. Even then, the feeling wasn’t quite solid. What finally brings it home is actually moving in and the days of orientation that follow. After parents leave and orientation comes to a close, the feeling of truly belonging here finally sets in.

Since the beginning of the semester, I have been asked many questions by family, friends and past teachers. What classes are you taking? Do you like your professors? How do you like your dorm? What has surprised you the most about college?

Personally, the last question is the hardest for me to answer. I honestly have not experienced anything that has surprised me, in a negative way that is. The comfortable environment and easy adjustment has been the biggest surprise for me.

I attended a small public high school, with a graduating class of 120, in a small town and was expecting to struggle with the adaptation. A sense of community is felt on campus, whether this is a relationship with friends, roommates, or professors, it is welcoming and irreplaceable. Here’s to the class of 2014! Let’s make it a great four years!

Whitney Siders is a first-time contributor to the Voice. She can be reached for contact at WSiders14@wooster.edu