There’s an initial hesitation to going to an Italian restaurant that is named “El Rancho Grande.” Going in and expecting Mexican cuisine is one of many ways this restaurant will disappoint you.

The walls were surprisingly bland for other restaurants I’ve seen in downtown Wooster. Usually, an ethnically themed restaurant has some sort of flair to make their roots known ó even Coccia House has some pretty pictures here and there. But these walls were bare. And, combined with the fairly empty house, it was a little awkward walking in.

I ordered the ravioli, only to have the waiter tell me that they were out. The waiter apologized, saying they were unusually busy that day (at which point I looked around and once again noticed one other table in use besides my own). I asked for the waiter’s recommendation, and he had to look at the menu to give me a suggestion. When he eventually decided on lasagna, I went with that to put him out of his misery.

They served us bread and salad, which came with all pasta orders. The salad was predominantly lettuce, half iceberg and half Romaine. It wasn’t cut very well ñ I embarrassed myself several times in the presence of my date because I couldn’t properly fit a forkful into my mouth. The garlic bread was more bread with garlic gracing the butter’s presence here and there.

The lasagna was definitely satisfactory, but not quite what I expected given the price. The menu alleges $9 for half a meal and $12 for a whole meal ó a term apparently used ironically. It didn’t help that my meal was served on a comically large plate for the particular dish, which only made their stinginess more apparent. By the time the waiter came to do the usual “How is everything so far?” I was already done, as was everyone I came with.

But, to their merit, I’ll repeat that the food was good. Lasagna, like most of their dishes, came in a both vegetarian and meat friendly. Desserts had at least eight options, which enticed me to stay a little longer. But, after looking at the prices again, I decided to cut my losses.

In summary, seek elsewhere. There are plenty of other restaurants in Downtown Wooster, most of which have better food and nearly all of which should have more reasonable prices and atmosphere.