Correction: An editor erred in the piece entitled “Professor Graber to publish book on Walnut Street Jail.” The book is not actually about the Walnut Street Jail, but was instead inspired by a visit to the jail.

One Saturday morning in Philadelphia, Assistant Professor of Religious Studies Jennifer Graber decided to go on a tour of the historic Walnut Street Jail, never knowing that this outing would begin a seven-year long process culminating in her book, “The Furnace of Affliction: Religion and The Prisons in Antebellum America” that will be published at the end of this year.

The jail, built in the 1790s, was shut down in 1980 due to multiple violations of decent living standards.† Graber explained when the idea for her book came about, “the tour guide said that the model for the prison was shaped by the Quakers.† I wondered how something shaped by the Quakers could become so horrible?† Did the prison change over time?† Or had the Quakers always intended for it to be like this?† We usually think of the Quakers trying to do good for the world, so I wondered how they had influenced the prison.”

How religion shaped the American prison system became the topic for Graber’s dissertation at Duke University.† When she graduated with a Ph.D. in American Religious History in 2006, was also when the first version of the book was complete. Graber knew all along that she eventually wanted to turn her dissertation into a book but had no idea the process would take so long.

Two different publishers were interested in the book. Graber chose to work with the University of North Carolina Press because they offered a strong editorial process.†† “I wanted to work with a publisher that had good readers and would make the effort to improve my book.† I had to put in a lot of time, but they did too.† I’m really glad we went through the process, it’s a better book because of that, it just took longer,” said Graber

It was important to Graber to reveal in her work what the prisoners thought about prison life at that time. “I found about six or seven books written by prisoners during that time period, they each mentioned different things about the Chaplains or other religious reformers in the prisons.† Some comments were positive and some were negative, there seemed to be no agreement on the prisoners feelings.” Revealing prisoners’ thoughts is what Graber considered one of the most rewarding parts of writing the book. “Some of these books haven’t been read since they were published in the 19th century.† I am glad I could make their voices available to contemporary readers so they can understand the prisoners’ side of the story.”

The book also offers extensive research about the relationship between Church and State in the 19th century.† Graber applied for support from the College to research at archives in Philadelphia and New York.

“They were very generous,” Graber said, “I even had a course load reduction one semester so I could finish my book.” Graber also mentioned her family as being great support during the process.”

“They came with me on all of my archival visits.† My son has napped in the New York Society many times.† I found that librarians like babies, so that was a good thing,” she said.

Through writing this book Graber has learned quite a few things about American history and society.† “I found that often when people try to do a good thing, they bring their own assumptions about what is good into activism and not everyone has the same definition of ëgood.’ It was a sad story really, everyone disagreed endlessly.† The reformers wanted to improve punishment from what they knew in Europe but ended up creating a whole new set of problems,” she said.† “People have great ideas and efforts when they want something good to happen, but life is just more complicated than that.”

With this book Graber hopes that readers will see how society’s concern for prison conditions in America has drastically declined since the 19th century. “It used to be a major public issue, but I don’t think it is anymore.† It would be great to raise awareness on the issue for the country’s well being.” There is still debate today about religion’s role in prisons and prisoners’ religious rights. “I think the best way to find a solution for a contemporary problem is to the look back in history to make a better assessment,” Graber said.

“The Furnace of Affliction: Religion and The Prisons in Antebellum America” has already been nominated for the Brewer Prize from the American Society of Church History, an award offerend annually for an author’s best first book.