Sports Editor Matthew Yannie recently talked to track and field††† high-jumper Jon Mathis í10. Mathis is one of three returning conference champions from last spring.

MY: You are one of three individual NCAC outdoor champions returning for the Scots. What sort of pressure does last yearís high jump win bring with it going into your last season?

JM: I definitely have high expectations for this season being a senior and a leader on the team. My main focus this year is to stay healthy because if I can stay healthy, I have a good chance at making a run at winning the NCAC championship again in high jump this year.

MY: The team returns the three champions and an additional six scorers from last yearís fifth-place finish in spring of 2009. How does that experience combined with a total of 17 seniors help the team both in winter and looking forward to the spring?

JM: There are a lot of leaders and a lot of experience on the team this year. We have six captains. In addition to those returning we also have a lot of underclassmen that came out for the team this year. This yearís team is the biggest that weíve had in my four years and I feel that it is a really strong team as well.† The experience we bring back combined with the young talent should make us one of the top tier teams in the NCAC.

MY: Does this team have the potential to make a run at an NCAC championship in either the winter season or this coming spring?

JM: Definitely. This is the strongest and most talented team that Iíve been a part of here in my four years and the biggest. We have good athletes in almost every event, and we will definitely score points in events in which we havenít scored in the past couple of years. The size and depth of the team will really benefit us and help us reach the goal of being in the top-three teams this year.

MY: Last weekend at the opening scored meet of the season you finished tied for fourth in the high jump at 1.75 meters.† How have lingering injuries affected you early this season in your performance?

JM: It has been a struggle. The injuries Iím dealing with have been ongoing since last year, but I am really making staying healthy my top priority. Football has definitely had an impact on my body, but once high jump comes around itís a whole new set of issues. The wear and tear of constantly jumping, the stress on your knees and joints, can really take a toll on your body. Thatís why staying healthy is one of my main goals going into the season.

MY: The team finished fifth out of nine teams last weekend in Granville, Ohio. Do you expect this ranking to be close to standard for the team this season? What are your predictions looking forward on the Oberlin Invitational this weekend and the year in general?

JM: This past weekend was only our second meet and we actually had people who didnít even go to Denison. Our results are only going to get better as the season goes on and by outdoor we will hopefully get to a level that we arenít even close to right now.

MY: Aside from remaining healthy, what are your personal goals or expectations for the upcoming indoor season?

JM: Specifically, I want to win the high jump again and get first place in the conference again. I have been competing against the same few guys for the past few years and Iíve proven that I can beat them as long as I can stay healthy.