While I was packing to come back to Wooster after spending the fall semester abroad, I was overjoyed to find my COW card in a box from the previous semester. It would be the first time I would be returning to Wooster without having to buy a new one! Aces! However, my excitement was suppressed when I received the email notifying me that we would in fact be receiving new cards upon arrival. Although I was bummed about my change of fortune, I figured the new COW cards might be a good way to start a new decade.

Unfortunately, I was as wrong as Kate Gosselinís haircut. I quickly whipped out my shades to shield my eyes from the piercing yellow glare that engulfs 50 percent of the card before I even had a chance to look it over. Now, donít get me wrong. Iím all about having the College become more equipped for 2010, but in my opinion the card looks like it dates back to the 80s. I should probably be more specific ó the card looks like it dates back from an athletic team from the 80s. Multiple people have commented that the card gives the false impression that we are athletes because of the emblem being so prominent on sports uniforms and warm-ups on campus.

The second biggest downer about the card is the fact that it now displays our class year. I know that this could also be seen as a benefit, but for those of us who were planning on using our cards to get discounts at movies, museums, etc. after we graduate are now going to be stuck paying full price unless you can pass as a minor or senior citizen.

However, Iím not going to discredit The College of Wooster for being smart. After being proved effective by many states across the country, the College has experimented changing the position of the picture from horizontal for every student to vertical for those under 21. I would expect the intention of this would be to help decrease underage drinking; a problem the school has actively been looking to solve.

Overall, I give the new COW cards a thumbs down. Call me school spiritless or traditional, I guess. Kudos to the person who founds the lucrative business of phoney Wooster COW cards ó I have a feeling those will be next.

Laney Austin is a News editor for the Voice.† She can be reached for comment at LAustin11@wooster.edu.