October 2, 2009 marked an important day in history.† In Copenhagen, Denmark the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced that Rio de Janeiro, Brazil was going to host the 2016 Olympics ó making it the first South American city to ever receive this honor.

I am currently spending the semester in Copenhagen, Denmark studying communications and mass media at the Danish Institute for study abroad.† All of my teachers urged the students to take part in the ìCopenhagen Countdown” and Olympic celebration all over the city.† I took this advice and I can honestly say it was the best day of my life.

The day started with a climate change rally at the Bella Center Metro Station (where Obama, Yukio Hatoyama the Prime Minister of Japan, Joseí Zapetoro the Prime Minister of Spain and Luiz Lula da Saliva the President of Brazil were campaigning all day).† There were men from Japan holding a huge banner with Japanese writing handing out flyers to all of the students that said ìTOKYO 2016.”† I kindly said no thanks.† News cameras were everywhere!† Everyone at the rally sang Jackson 5 ìI want you back” ó an innovative invitation to the leaders to return in December for the Cop15 climate change summit involving 125 countries all over the world.

Copenhagen was buzzing early in the morning.† We picked up our free ìChicago 2016″ bright orange long sleeve shirts and headed into the city center. Just walking down the street to the event, there was country pride everywhere.† I heard the Madrid supporters speaking Spanish in their handprint T-shirts; there was a group of Tokyo supporters wearing Pikachu costumes and others with white wigs that had giant red dots in the middle of them.† Americans could be spotted in the bright orange shirts. But the Brazilians were the most enthusiastic.† There were dozens of Brazilian flags, Brazilian jerseys; I heard the Brazilian national anthem over and over again.† They really wanted it.

In the city center there were sports demonstrations from soccer and squash players, to karate masters, gymnasts, dancers and BMX bikers.† There was a series of performances before the major announcement was made.† Aqua even performed a set, including their hit single ìBarbie Girl.”† We had to wait for a while for the first announcement to be made of what two countries did not make the top two.† But of course, like any other award ceremony there was a huge build up.† Each city made their own travel video. They were all so different; it was a really nice way to introduce all of the different cities and cultures.

Then the first announcement came ó Chicago was kicked out first,† Tokyo following.† A Japanese couple, about 60 years old, completely lost it behind me.† It was so sad.† I had no idea people were so passionate about their cities.† The camera crews from the various news stations went wild trying to get interviews from disappointed supporters.† A cameraman actually hit me in the head with his camera trying to get an interview from my friend.

About 30 minutes later the major announcement was made ó Brazil would host the 2016 Olympics.† I luckily was standing next to the entire Brazilian fan section. The energy coming from the group was incredible. †I witnessed a historical event and it was amazing.† All of the children in the crowd were put on adultsí shoulders, everyone started chanting then everyone in the crowd began to support Brazil. Seeing Americans, Spaniards, Danes, Japanese and Brazilians all joyfully come together really encompassed the Olympics and what they stand for.† I will, without a doubt, remember this day forever.