Professor Mark Wilson discusses his current research, his history at The College of Wooster and his love for discovery. Wilson received this year’s Gilbert Harris Award from the Paleontological Research Institution and received his undergraduate degree here at The College of Wooster. He has published over 120 papers, some the result of paleontological research in countries all over the world. 

What exactly is the focus of your research?

I study the evolution of marine invertebrate communities over the past 500 million years or so. I am especially interested in the evolutionary ecology of organisms that live on hard substrates like rocks and shells.

What made you become interested in systematic paleontology?

Systematic paleontology provides the data we use to develop and test evolutionary hypotheses. I especially enjoy describing and analyzing new taxa, having helped name over 70 new groups of fossil organisms.

I love the discovery aspect of my research, which involves finding new and interesting fossils in the field, laboratory and even in museum collections.

What made you want to spend your entire career at the College of Wooster?

Independent Study is why I came to Wooster as a student and returned as a professor. Independent Study is a magical process through which all students are transformed into scholars producing new knowledge and ideas. No school does Independent Study more effectively than Wooster.

How does it feel to be recognized for your work?

I’m honored by the recognition knowing I’ve had many advantages in my life, especially being a professor at Wooster.

Who has inspired you most?

I have been inspired by many teachers and colleagues during my scientific career. The most inspiring was the late Wooster chemistry professor Ted Williams, who taught me how to combine teaching and research, and then gave me a vision of science as a noble pursuit of knowledge about nature.

(Photo from Facebook)