“The Circle,” Lara Sinangil

One of my favorite parts of the summer is reading for pleasure. It’s the one time of the year when I finally have the freedom to catch up on the books I wanted to read during the semester. The Circle, published last fall, is a must-read if you love dystopian novels that eerily mirror today’s society. The story begins when twenty-something Mae Holland is hired to work for The Circle, the world’s most influential and powerful Internet company.

The organization is essentially a combination of Google, Facebook and Apple, in the best and worst ways. At first, Mae’s workplace seems like an absolute paradise with unbelievable perks. She has excellent health insurance, multiple cultural and social opportunities in her workplace and many leadership opportunities.

As Mae rises to the top of her field, readers begin to see through the cracks in the organization. The more Mae gets promoted, the less privacy she has and the more visible her life becomes to the public. The heads of the Circle are striving to increase the company’s impact on not just the Internet, but also the government and the world. While the novel is an addicting, easy read, it’s hard to finish the book without wanting to go off the grid.

“Boyhood,” Michael Hatchett

This summer I had the pleasure of seeing Richard Linklater’s latest film, Boyhood. The film has garmered buzz because it took Linklater 12 years to complete. In order to accurately capture the emotions of growing up, Linklater filmed the same actor (Ellar Coltrane, who plays Mason) from age five to age 18. Beyond the logistical feat of filming the same movie over more than a decade, Linklater’s laborious work is a beautiful, realistic film about American life.

The young male protaganist’s acting is further bolstered by the performances of his parents, referred to as Mom and Dad only (Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke, respectively). Also worth noting is the role of his sister Samantha (played by Linklater’s daughter Lorelei). All of these actors were also filmed over the same twelve-year period. In fact, the film might as well be called Parenthood or even Life, since it captures not only Mason’s transformation but the changes of those around him as well. All of the characters are believable, honest and convincingly played by the entire cast, making the film feel like a documentary rather than a work of fiction.

Arctic Monkeys, Laura Merrell

On a slightly humid August evening, I waited in the back of a line that wrapped around two blocks. Clearly, I had grossly underestimated the popularity of the Arctic Monkeys after their newest album came out in the U.S. They played two sold-out shows in Seattle this summer, and I got highly coveted tickets to the first night. Once I ignored the overwhelming number of tween girls who looked like they were going to a Justin Bieber concert (which may have had something to do with the high-pitched cacophony they emitted) the concert became magical. I have seen the band perform four times live, and each time is better than the last. Alex Turner has finally grown into his role as a front man, which includes adorably awkward dance moves and combing his faux pompadour before singing love songs. The band mostly played songs from their new album, AM, which many music critics have said redefines rock and roll. Later on, I would end the evening at Beth’s, a twenty-four-hour diner. Over omelets and coffee, my friend and I concluded that Alex Turner, lead singer and man after my own heart, had in fact blown one of those kisses to me. It was a perfect end to the summer, and I am eagerly awaiting Alex’s call.

“Fargo,” Lily Iserson

This summer, in my attempt to ignore how humid it was outside, I sat down and watched every episode of the snow-covered neo-noir miniseries, Fargo. Written by Noah Hawley of Bones and produced by the Coen brothers, the show concluded after a promising first season on FX, with an upcoming renewal slated for 2015. Based on the Coen brothers’ film of the same name, the plot of Fargo chronicles a series of grisly homicides in a small, Minnesotan town. After a few cops impede the investigation through their own incompetence the area finds itself helpless as a man with a passion for “living life by his own rules” wreaks havoc. Beginning each episode with an inaccurate “based on a true story” caption, the show provides a fresh outlook on crime drama. Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman star and are so great in their nefariousness that you can’t help but enjoy them. Only Alison Tolman, playing cop Molly Solverson, exists as a central moral force. Her presence contrasts against the show’s general immorality, creating an ideal balance so that you won’t tire of its rompy bleakness. I eagerly await the chance to shirk my obligations and watch the upcoming renewal, and I encourage you all to do the same.

“To Be Kind,” Mike Long

This year, we were finally treated to the newest album from the legendary experimental alternative rock group Swans: To BeKind. Clocking in at a little over two hours, this album is a challenging listen in almost every sense of the word, but like every Swans album, it contains enough brilliance within it to make it a worthwhile listen for any dedicated music fan.

Ranging from highlights like the slow-burning groove of “Just a Little Boy” to the demented swagger of “A Little God in My Hands” to the spastic repetition of “Oxygen,” Swans’s bandleader Michael Gira has done his best to meet the quality of Swans’s last album, the excellent The Seer, which was received warmly by critics.

While the album is a bit long winded, especially with its 34-minute centerpiece, “Bring the Sun/Toussaint L’Ouverture,” any fan of truly unique and out-there music should try to listen to this album as soon as possible.

(All photos courtesy AP)