Trump’s administration has rescinded Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. A program that protected 800,000 immigrants who came to America at an early age in hopes of a better life has been given to Congress to determine its outcome within six months. The death date is March 5, 2018. These DACA students are at risk of losing employment and their opportunity of continuing their education, and they will even face deportation if Congress cannot propose a solution within the timeframe.

There are many misconceptions about DACA. I would know because I myself am a DACA recipient.

DACA students are not criminals. We do not deal drugs, and we have no interest in pillaging your villages and raping your women. We’re not even able to receive federal funding for college.

Despite our disadvantages, we still manage to get things done — even if that requires working twice as hard as any other American citizen. Ninety-one percent of DACA recipients are employed. 100 percent have no criminal record. This is proven by the selective process that is required to obtain DACA. Proof of a clean criminal record and proof that you will continue your education are some of the main requirements.

The day that Trump was elected, I knew that I was going to be facing more challenges than before. As Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Trump’s decision, I could not see the heart Trump said he will use with the DREAMers. I saw cowardice in his ability to show his face and keep his word. The problem with this is that I wasn’t surprised. I was prepared for the worst but remained hopeful. When I realized the impact that this decision actually had on my future, it made me very sad. Everything I have worked for can be easily erased at any moment.

My dream of taking my family out of the south side of Chicago seems to diminish more and more by the hour. My inspiration is my parents who risked their life and everything they had just so that my sibling and I could have a better life. This is why I continue to remain hopeful in these situations — because they have worked hard enough to give me everything I needed. They always had high expectations for me. Even though they knew that I might not get into a college, they never let me use that as an excuse. Although this is a sad situation, I encourage other DREAMers to convert this sadness into passion and motivation. All my fellow DREAMers have to continue doing what we do best: work hard.

Many of the DACA recipients are fed up with having to hide behind the shadows, and that is why I decided to stand up for those who are still afraid to admit their legal status. Through this viewpoint, I hope that readers will have feel more for DREAMers than pity, because that doesn’t help. I hope that readers will feel encouraged to stand up to this injustice and become the voice of those who cannot speak.

Mayra Lopez, a Contributing Writer for the Voice, can be reached for comment at MLopez19@wooster.edu.