I joined the Goliard’s poetry/prose staff this past spring semester because I wanted to feel more connected to the student body. I also was curious about what a “student run literary magazine” did, and why it was hosting Covers. The more I learn, the more certain I am that student publications and student organizations that support the arts are essential for fostering free expression on campus. Among other things, student publications like the Goliard allow us to see written work on the same level as our own.   Aside from the few moments I have for my own writing, the written works I read are for classes, written by seasoned professionals. I look at my own work and even if it’s something I’m proud of I’ll still think, “Well, this is shit.” How could I not, when the only writing I have to compare mine to is Toni Morrison’s? It’s easy to be intimidated by that gap. Personally, I have a better confidence in my writing when I’m also reading student works. They show us that there are many places to land on between beginner and professional. 

Similar to the actual publication, Goliard events like Covers and the Moth, as well as writing workshops and film screenings, are all opportunities for students to practice their art in a constructive and encouraging environment. Not only is this good for the individual, but it’s also good for the community. It’s important that we see what other students are thinking and feeling so that as a collective, we understand what is going on with our peers — and as an extension, what is going on on campus. It’s also just really nice to have something fun to do on campus where the entire student body is invited and encouraged to learn or share a bit of themselves. My favorite event is the Moth (an open-mic storytelling event) because it’s so low-key, and I always leave knowing more about my peers and feeling more seen. 

I should point out, though, that as wonderful as these opportunities are, there is certain work that we need to put in as a student body to protect these opportunities for artistic expression. In education, it’s common to see a disparity between the funding and promotion given to the arts and that given to S.T.E.M. Art is seen as trivial, and often pushed aside to make room for disciplines that adhere to a more capitalistic perspective of value. It is important that we as a student body remind ourselves as well as the administration that our artistic work is just as valuable. You can do this by showing tangible expressions of support like spending a few dollars on a copy of the Goliard or just showing up to artistic events on campus when you can. It’s an ongoing effort but, to me, it’s absolutely worth it. 

If you want to know more about the Goliard and upcoming events, follow us on Instagram @jean_luc1989 or like us on Facebook. If you are interested in purchasing a copy of our literary magazine, the Goliard will be tabling in Lowry next week.

Eliza Letteney, a Contributing Writer for the Voice, can be reached for comment at ELetteney21@wooster.edu.