Sports Editor

As The College of Wooster women’s lacrosse team season nears, the players have been working long and hard in the offseason to come out of the gates strong against Division III competitors. Coming back from an impressive 12-5 record last season, Coach Liz Ford is confident in her squad and hopes to debut a powerful bunch onto the field on Feb. 23 against Capital University.

In preparation for the season to start in February, the group has been actively participating in team workouts and exercises over the break and the weeks leading up to their first practice. “We’ve been lifting, running and doing footwork,” said Natalie Souleyrette ’19. “Coming off of the fall season, our team wanted to be strong and explosive when spring came — we worked to keep that energy throughout the off season in workouts and captain’s practices.” Megan Healy ’19 explained that team practices are crucial in gaining a healthy relationship between teammates in order to perform better on the field. “I think a lot of our preparation as a team comes from how each of us challenges one another during practice,” Healy expressed. “Most of the time, practices can be competitive and intense, and this momentum will help propel us into our season. As long as we keep the intensity up and continue to challenge each other, I know we will be prepared to play.”

When speaking on the team’s overall strength as a team, Coach Ford made it clear that the group has had experience that will prepare them for even their toughest competitors. “We have a good returning group of starters and some underclassmen that were able to get time under their belt last year,” Ford explained. “We have some good attack sets on the books and our defense will hopefully be able to have multiple looks.” In the conference, Coach Ford and Healy agreed that Denison University will be no easy feat, and will be a strong opponent to face. “I think our toughest opponent this season will be Denison, no doubt,” Healy stated. “We played them last year in the championship game, and although we lost, we did not give them an easy fight. Denison has been one of the powerhouses in our league for as long as I have been at Wooster, which brings in an intimidation factor when we play them. Although they are tough, as long as we stick to our game, stay confident and play how we know how to play, beating Denison is possible.” Coach Ford chimed in, saying that, “Although the NCAC is pretty strong in women’s lacrosse, I believe we are looking at Denison being the strongest.”

From another standpoint, Souleyrette claimed that Kenyon College will be another tough competitor because of their ongoing rivalry. “We’ve been undefeated against Kenyon my whole Wooster career, and I’m sure they will want to break our winning streak,” she said. “Like all conference games, we need to play like ourselves; be smart, communicate with each other and practice patience.”

Players on the team are not only working on their gameplay. The team hopes to make new memories and skills that will help them in their future endeavors. For seniors, this season will be the last time they step into John C. Papp stadium with a lacrosse stick in hand. Healy commented on what she has gained from being a College of Wooster lacrosse player. “Overall, playing for the Wooster lacrosse team has instilled in me the importance of teamwork,” she explained. “Playing has taught me not to take opportunities for granted and to work hard, not only for myself, but for my teammates and my coaches.” 

From fellow senior teammate Souleyrette, she said that “College of Wooster lacrosse has impacted me in the best of ways. Not only did I form great friendships and memories with teammates, but I became a more dedicated, timely and supportive person through the program.”

From Claire Truscott ’21, she looks ahead and hopes to make one specific memory this season. “I want to win the conference. The most memorable moment in my lacrosse career at Wooster so far has been going to the conference championships last season,” she emphasized. “Even though we didn’t win, we played a very good game against Denison and hopefully we change the outcome this year.”

Coach Ford hopes that above all, the team works hard and works together. “We will focus on what we do well and clearly work on the things that will make us, as a team, and individually better,” she said. “This group is very strong and have worked hard in the off season to put themselves in contention for the title. We have strong leadership throughout the group, as well as with the captains, and they are great people. We are excited with the potential we have and coming off a strong 2018 season and our fall dual sport athletes all having great seasons only has everyone ready to play.”

The women’s lacrosse team starts their season at Capital University on Feb. 23. Their first home game is against Carthage University on March 7. 

(Photo from Wooster Athletics)