It was on a warm, sunny day like this three years ago that I too was left marveling at the beautiful architecture of this wonderful college. I was looking forward to the best years of my life at this college, spending them in class and also with the many friends I did not know I would make! But life did not turn out the way I would have liked, as I went through some rather rocky times. These rocky times made me wish someone could have been there to hold my hand and help me through these challenging times. Thus I was more than happy to oblige when my dear friend Angad asked me to write a viewpoint providing tips and tricks for all of you first years as you take your first steps in making Wooster a home away from home.

It’s common knowledge that college is all about forming your own support system and finding your tribe. Lucky for you, I happen to know the secret formula for making friends with strangers you could never envision being mates with. And no, it’s not any elaborate scheme with many moving cogs and parts. All I’m asking for you to do is to plaster your biggest, most cheesy smile, and just lovingly greet everyone on your daily rounds through the College. You will not believe the number of people you find on campus who just have so much life in them, all of which is waiting to burst out like confetti made of rainbows! Your hello and hi could provide safe passage to their pent up emotions and let them soar high in the sky like a rainbow after the most gloomy rainy day. Most importantly however is that for once in your life, try making conversation with someone who doesn’t look, sound or think like you. Believe me, it’ll change your life. That is how my best friend is Pakistani (I’m Indian), which is inconceivable to most because our nations have been in a state of war since 1947. This has also helped me form a very diverse group of friends on campus. My friends hail  from many places from Morocco to Lithuania; you point your finger on the map, and you’ll find a friend of mine who’d love to talk to you about their home!

This situation also applies to professors, who in some ways might be more approachable than your fellow peers at times! But this College is perhaps the only place in the country or anywhere, where it is common to catch up with your professors over a cuppa tea (my favorite is this Chinese black tea called Lapsang Souchong, which I desperately wish was sold at our college) or your favorite beverage. Point is, if there is any dilemma in your life or mind or if your GPA downright sucks (trust me, it happens to all of us when we have a lesser than desired semester and our GPA decides to tank in front of eyes), your professors are always willing to talk to you, and assure you that everything is going to be okay.

Both of these things have been the best part of my journey so far, and my only regret is not being able to spend more time than I have on my hands with them. Just make the most of every day you have at this college, because you have more fingers than the number of semesters you’ll be in Wooster.

Ayush Mishra, a Contributing Writer for the Voice, can be reached for comment at AMishra19@wooster.edu.