Contributing Writer

The College of Wooster women’s tennis team went on a dominant five-match winning streak while on their spring break trip in Hilton Head Island, S.C. from March 13 to March 20. The Fighting Scots destroyed their competition, winning the five matches by scores of 6-3, 7-2, 6-1, 8-1 and 8-1. The 5-0 record, coupled with wins in their first three matches of the semester prior to spring break, gives the team an eight-match winning streak heading into the most intense stretch of NCAC play. The Scots are also in position to break the 1976 team record for the best start to a season in college history.

Laura Haley ’21 was more than excited to match the record.

“Coming into this season I didn’t know what to expect, but I knew the competition would be tough. I’m ecstatic that my teammates and I have made history, and being able to look back and acknowledge that I was a part of that success is such a great feeling. It was definitely not easy to match this record, but I know my teammates and I are determined to work as hard as we can. We’re on such a good run right now and I’m so excited to work even harder and beat the teams [that] the records say we shouldn’t.”

The Fighting Scots wrapped up their trip with a lopsided 8-1 win over Hollins University. Joy Li ’20 and Morgan Wagers ’18 won their third doubles match in a row with a score of 8-0 to improve their record to 9-2 in doubles matches this season. With her performance on the trip, Li tallied her 11th straight win and has a chance to enter rarefied air for the tennis program, including moving into the top six for most wins in a season at No. 1 singles. She currently sits in a lofty position, tied for the sixth-most career wins at No.1.

In other notable outcomes in the contest versus Hollins, Sarah Duran ’21 and Shannon Sertz ’20 almost did not drop any sets in wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, while Haley and Mali Zemedkun ’20 both won with identical scores of 6-1 and 6-0 at No. 4 and No. 5 singles, respectively.

When speaking on the experience that the team had while in Hilton Head, Haley was insistent on noting the importance of bonding outside of the court.

“Off the court, we had so much fun in the house. We frequently rode bikes to the beach and cooked together. This trip really helped us grow as a tennis family.”

Based on the Fighting Scots’ multiple wins on the trip, the team has outstanding chemistry and a great relationship with their coach. Li remarked, “I really like a quote that Coach Amy always tells us before a match, ‘Let the result take care of itself.’ This is not a stop sign, but a motivation for us to keep our energy and tough mind on the court, just like what we did in spring break. This has definitely been an unforgettable trip. I absolutely believe that after the trip, we bring back a stronger team.”

The beat has rolled on since returning from South Carolina as Wooster won 7-2 against rival Wittenberg University on March 29. They hope to continue their record-breaking spring when they host a strong Oberlin team on April 6. Roll Scots!