Michael Hatchett

A&E Editor

Seniors, we’re almost there. We’re almost ready to put on a bathrobe and a weird hat, almost ready to receive monthly emails from the Wooster Fund, almost ready to hurdle into the unknowable abyss known as adulthood. But we’re not quite there yet.   In the meantime, we should try to wring as much entertainment and carefree fun out of our college career as possible. Some people call this stage of their education “Camp Woo.” Now that most orals have been conducted and (hopefully) all passing grades have been given out, we have a few weeks to ourselves to relax a little bit. Here are some great activities that you can use to occupy your time. It’s worth noting that all of these activities can be fun for everyone, not just anxious seniors. In fact, I wish I did more of these when I was younger.  Play cards! – Oh my god, cards are so much goddamn fun. I know you might think that cards are for children and old people, but that would be very narrow-minded of you. I’m also not advocating for card games like Go Fish or Bridge, but more exciting games like Euchre, Gloaters & Showboaters and Poker. Cards are basically prehistoric video games that you can play anywhere (I highly recommend long Lowry sits with good friends and a deck of cards) and are even more fun if you play them drunk. A group of seniors I idolized when I was a first year used to play Euchre and drink in the CoRE every week. They always seemed like they were having more fun than anyone else. They probably were.   Watch movies! – Holy shit, I love movies. Probably too much. I famously skipped out on a friend’s birthday dinner to go see not one, but two movies at the Wooster Cinemark. It’s one of the few regrets of my college career. I should’ve seen three. All joking a salad, movies are pretty fun and even more fun with a group of friends who want nothing more than to be distracted from thinking about their future. I’m not even saying you have to go to the theater, just find a good movie on Netflix/Hulu (ideally one that all of your friends haven’t seen), buy some snacks from the C-Store and just chiiiiiiilll. It sounds obvious but the enjoyment of junk food, best friends and a quality film can never be overstated.  Go places! – Okay, as much as I love staying indoors and not doing anything, I gotta say that leaving campus might be one of the best things you can do with your last days of college. We live in a pretty small bubble at Wooster and as much as I love it, sometimes it’s really nice just to leave for a little bit. Go to a park, go to Applebee’s — it doesn’t matter just go somewhere! Even if you go on a walk to one of the little neighborhoods that border the campus, do that! This sounds cliché, but it does wonders for the mind, body and spirit.  Sleep over! – Okay, now I know some people are going to see this and immediately roll their eyes. That’s fine, I understand. I know a lot of what I’m advocating sounds pretty childish and this suggestion, I admit, is maybe the most childish. But trust me and go into this with an open mind. Just in general, having an open mind is extremely beneficial to your well-being. I’m not saying you have to start saying “Yes” to everything that life throws at you, but at the very least, pause and reflect on what would happen if you did say yes. Seriously.  But anyway, sleep over in your friend’s rooms. Just bring a sleeping bag and some snacks (okay yes I know that most of these suggestions involve snacks but honestly if you don’t love snacks, you’re going to die angry and miss everything cool). Sleeping is fun. Having dumb, late-night discussions about emo bands and anime is also fun. Just go have fun, kids. You don’t have much time left.