Recipe by 
Emma Woods

Lowry can be rough. We all know this. We’ve all had those days where the only thing that looks good is peanut butter on toast. So if you’re struggling to find something to eat this winter, here is a burrito recipe straight out of my mother’s kitchen (well, out of the Detroit Free Press originally, but it’s a hit in my household).

First, you’ll need a Lowry classic: black beans and brown rice, in equal proportions. To this, add cumin and zesty pepper spices (seasoned to taste) and mix together.

Next, add about a tablespoon of salsa and stir. Pop it all in a microwave and heat for about 20 seconds.

Now, the important twist: add about a tablespoon of cream cheese. Stay with me on this — the cream cheese is what makes this recipe. Stir it in as much as it will mix, pop it back into the microwave for about 30 more seconds and then stir it the rest of the way.

Finally, grab a tortilla! I recommend eating it with sour cream, Sriracha, and cheddar cheese, but you’re all college students, you know how you like to dress up a burrito to your liking. Also, this acts as a great dip for tortilla chips if you prefer. 

Voila! A delicious alternative to Lowry toast.