Lily Iserson
A&E Editor

Coffee and espresso, the impetus of the modern undergrad. And why not? Apart from its obvious benefits for the sleep-deprived, studies show that coffee can improve even the most harried I.S. student’s focus and creativity. More impressive yet, a Harvard study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine argued that coffee could even diminish symptoms of depression.

Sadly, so many C-Store/Old Main frequenters restrict the creativity of their coffee options by pure habit. A plain mocha here, an uninspired iced coffee there — it’s downright sad. Don’t even get me started on the notorious chai latte: absent of any espresso whatsoever, the drink’s little more than hot cinnamon milk.

I argue that there’s more to life.

As such, I present a few of my favorite C-Store/Old Main “recipes” and little-known Starbucks menu items — perhaps some of you may find a new favorite among my own. (And don’t forget to thank your barista!)

1. My mornings are usually stressful, full of speedy readings, work shifts and hastily eaten muffins. When I’m looking for a pleasant-tasting energy boost, I order a Vanilla Café Au Lait, a little-known and underrated coffee classic. The beverage combines one part coffee and one part steamed milk — I simply ask for a vanilla flavor shot on top of it. Properly made, the coffee’s bold flavor prevents the drink from becoming overwhelmingly sweet, yet it’s a far cry from black coffee’s unrelenting bitterness.
  2. I’m always a fan of the classic mocha, a latte with a chocolate base and whipped cream. But why stop there? While I always recommend adding caramel, hazelnut or toffee, I’d like to mention some less acknowledged syrups. Peppermint or Raspberry mochas are perfect, not-too-indulgent drinks that wonderfully complement a break in the Pit. In a similar vein, try ordering a Pumpkin Spice Latte with a few pumps of chocolate — although these flavors appear contradictory, the result is nothing short of mind-opening.
  3. Fancy yourself a chocolate addict? Ask your barista for a Hot Chocolate Latte coupled with any of the flavors I’ve mentioned above. Its unique embrace with sweet, syrupy goodness makes it worth saving your flex for a cold day in December — believe me, you’ll thank yourself.
  4. Order a plain latte, extra hot, and ask your barista if they’re willing to add a bag of Earl Grey tea for a flowery London Fog. (Note that you can always add the tea bag yourself if your barista’s busy; always mind your barista!) I personally enjoy London Fogs with a little honey stirred in when settling into my afternoon Netflix routine.
  5. PS, honey is a wonderful addition to your standard Dirty Chai Latte, which I also prefer with a touch of hazelnut.
  6. And now for a particularly decadent beverage, which one C-Store employee described as “sick” (with love): the Salted Caramel Mocha. This monstrosity’s a volatile combination of caramel and toffee with a chocolate base, whipped cream, caramel topping, and sea-salt. Perfect for any occasion and, as Donna and Tom say on Parks and Recreation, the best way to “treat yo’self,” I can only describe the taste as delightfully saccharine.