’Twas the Week

Before Break

Brooke Skiba

For the Scene this week, I decided to share a little Christmas spirit with everyone and offer you all a story to read on the eve of your finals. I wish everyone the best of luck on all your tests and papers and have a wonderful Winter Break!

’Twas the week before Winter Break and all across the College, * Not a student was stirring, they were busy getting knowledge. * Papers were typed and the books were all open. * The library was filled and few words were heard spoken. *

The line at MacLeods wound out the door. * The students needed coffee, and then needed some more. * There was not yet room for holiday spirit in the air, * When about our last finals was all we could care. *

Those without sleep took naps on their desks, * While daydreams of  Quesadilla Mondays danced through their rest. * My roommate with her laptop and I with my textbook, * Had been working all day, you could tell from one look. *

When before too long there arose such a sound, * I woke with a start and looked all around. * It was my alarm, so I quickly looked outside, * To see the daylight and my eyes opened wide. *

The sun gleaming off the new-fallen snow, * Reminded me I had a final soon; I thought “Oh no!” * I pulled on my clothes, so lively and quick. * I tried to keep studying, but it just made me sick. *

More rapid than reindeer I rushed to my class, * Through snow falling wildly, covering the grass. * I ran through the front door to the very top floor! * Prof said “almost time,” then “time to start, we can’t wait any more!” *

With a wink of his eye and a twist of his hands, * The prof passed out the tests and laid out his demands * “You must finish in three hours” he said. * And he told us to start, my mind filling with dread. *

As short twigs that before the wild tornado fly, * Rapidly blown and spiraling into the sky, * As quickly did our pencils move, * Across every test paper in that very classroom. *

And then in a twinkling, I heard my prof say, * “The test is now over, put your pencils away!” * Faces full of relief were seen all around, * And out the door everyone ran with a bound. *

My eyes — how they twinkled, my only final done. * Before I had two goals, now I had but one.  * My tired little mouth drew up like a bow, * Knowing now I only had to get myself home. *

I packed all my bags, then turned with a jerk. * I sprang to my car and prayed it would work. * The engine started but ere I drove out of sight, * I called out, “You all still have tests, good luck and good night!!”