Of all of the activities, social and academic, extracurricular and co-curricular, in which I’ve participated on this campus, there is almost nothing I regret doing.† There is, however, a lot that I regret not doing.† I wish I’d gone to more swing dance lessons, taken a philosophy class, actually gone to parties ó all manner of things.† But of course, if I’d done all of those things I would have been so overwhelmingly busy I would have gone insane.

No one has unlimited time or an unlimited course load, so we all have to make decisions at some point.† My advice is this ó take your time with those decisions, and don’t be afraid to change your mind.† I fell into patterns way too early, and I think I missed out on a lot of stuff because of that, both academically and socially. I don’t think being a theatre major was the wrong decision.† But I do think if I’d taken, say, a second anthropology class I might have decided differently.

I enjoy being in shows.† But I can’t help but wonder if I gave too much of my time to that one activity.† To graduate with a theatre major, you need to be involved with four main stage productions ó I’ve done 13, plus additional stuff like Shakesperiments, and working in the shop ten hours a week.† My theatre resume is now quite impressive ó but I’m not looking for a theatre job.† And my regular resume is practically nonexistent.

I guess what I’m saying is, don’t feel like you need to choose a specialty then do everything in your power to be as good at the specialty as you can.† If that’s your philosophy, you’re at the wrong school.† Be a dilettante.† Dabble in anything and everything you find interesting.† It will all help you in some way, and once you do choose a path you’ll have plenty of time to develop along that path.† This is your time to explore. Don’t cut it short.

Nathan Comstock is the 2009-2010 Senior Arts Writer. He can be reached for comment at ncomstock10@wooster.edu